John Hickey LLB
Lawyer – (Barrister and Solicitor)
John is the principal of HickeyLaw. He has over 25 years experience in legal practice.
The Experienced Lawyer John has wide experience to draw upon. After working in the UK early in his career, he returned to New Zealand in 1986, establishing his own practice in 1990. The UK roles included council house sales for Surrey Heath Borough Council, residential conveyancing and other property and commercial work in private law firms and listed Public Companies, including commercial leasing work for Ladbroke Group plc.
John has found this background tremendously useful in his work today.
The Legal Method Many law firms talk about “being client focused” and “providing solutions”, without being able to actually explain how that works in practice.
John likes to focus on communication and the outcome process. That means his clients know that they are going to have a handle on the intended result and what’s going to be done to try to achieve it. It’s also important that the method of charging for the work is settled in advance. The fee needs to be fair to both client and John.
Professional and Community Involvement .. (with a Personality) John has always helped out in the community. Highlights are his time as a volunteer on the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) for over 25 years, the Auckland District Law Society Family and Criminal Law Section Committees, his work as a Duty Solicitor for over 20 years and membership of the Save Dominion Road Coalition.
With a busy family life - with his wife, John has raised four daughters - John could be forgiven for putting his feet up in spare moments. No chance. He is a keen home renovator and active member of the Land Rover Owners Club Auckland (including a stint as Secretary 2004-2005 and Liaison Officer since 2012). He has three Land Rovers (1956 Series I, 1980 Series III (Stage 1) V8 and Defender 110). John was Vice President of the Northern Zone of the New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association Inc. (2012-2013) and was President of the Northern Zone of the New Zealand Four Wheel Drive Association Inc (2014-2023).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Member New Zealand Law Society 1982 and 1987 to date (overseas 1983 to 1986)
- Member NZLS Family Law Section
- Member NZLS Property Law Section
- Member Auckland District Law Society
- Auckland District Law Society Family Law Subcommittee from 2008
- Auckland District Law Society Criminal Law Subcommittee from 2010
- Member Criminal Bar Association of New Zealand
- Citizen’s Advice Bureau, Glenfield Lawyer roster – pro bono legal advisor since 1990
- St Benedict’s Newton Parish Council 2001 to 2005
- Save Dominion Road Coalition since 2010
HickeyLaw 33c Constellation Drive North Shore Mail Centre Auckland 0745 New Zealand ph. 09 477 0333 fax. 09 477 0334 email. firstname.lastname@example.org